U.S. green card

Which family members can you petition for a U.S. green card?

When your relatives seek to come to the U.S. on a permanent basis, you have the power to petition for them to receive a green card. This legal document authorizes an immigrant to live and work in the United States as a lawful permanent resident of the country.

Petitioning for a family member to get a green card is one part of the immigration process that you need to fully understand before moving forward. You must prove that you have enough assets to support your immigrating relative, but you also need to know which relatives you are legally able to petition.

If you are a U.S. citizen

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services outlines the terms and processes of petitioning for a relative’s residency. Be aware that when you submit your petition, you must provide proof of your relationship with the person for whom you are petitioning. As a born or naturalized U.S. citizen, you may petition for a relative who is your:

  • Spouse
  • Child
  • Parent
  • Sibling

How to obtain a US citizenship?

If you are a lawful permanent resident

If you are a lawful permanent resident with a green card who is not yet a full citizen of the United States, you may still petition for certain family members to receive their green card as well. In this case, however, you can only petition for a relative who is your:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child

Keep in mind that when your petitioned family member begins the immigration process, their spouse or unmarried children can join them and apply for immigration at the same time. The overall process can be quite lengthy, but it all leads up to the new life that your family can begin in this country.

We are located at 4201 N McColl Rd, McAllen, TX 78504. You can also follow us on Facebook or Instagram. Contact us today at (956)618-3000 to schedule a consultation or click here and learn more about how we can help with your immigration case.

Related Posts